- One new Hero per race, each possessing powerful spells and magical abilities
- A host of new units, each equipped with new abilities and spells, giving players the opportunity to create diverse strategic and tactical forms of combat
- Player-built shops, unique for each race, equipped with items carefully designed to improve and aid the units of every race
- Neutral Heroes, available for recruitment by all players, that can supplement and strengthen a player’s army with all new spells and abilities
- Expanded multiplayer options over Battle.net including multiple new game types, clan and tournament support
Return to Azeroth to guide great heroes and faithful minions to frenzied battle in WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne. This expansion pack for Blizzard’s 2002 real-time strategy game is designed to build upon many of the key features that made the third WarCraft game a critical and popular success. As in WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos, the single-player campaign of The Frozen Throne puts players in command of each of the four races in turn. The add-on begins where the main game left off, with the Night Elves, then moves to the Humans, and ends with the Undead. The Orcs follow their own separate, stand-alone campaign, specially developed to make use of the expansion’s new World Editor features.
Many months have passed since the climactic battle at Mount Hyjal in Reign of Chaos. Any true peace in the land is short-lived, however. Already a new threat grows, in the far-off, frozen lands of Northrend. Though the Lich King Ner’zhul now has no physical form, the power of his evil spirit endures, deep in the frozen heart of the Icecrown glacier. The fallen paladin Arthas and the renegade Night Elf Illidan, both survivors of the devastating warfare of the original game, return in this expansion pack, to again cast their dangerous influence on the fate of Azeroth.
Three new tilesets are added by The Frozen Throne, all with their own flora and fauna (including new critters appropriate to each environment). Each race gains new units and one new hero character. Neutral heroes are available as well, for a price. New units and their special abilities are designed to complement the particular strengths of their existing armies, and were created to offer new strategies while maintaining the delicate balance of powers among the four races. A number of new multiplayer maps are also included in the add-on, as well as expanded Battle.net support for clans, tournaments, and more multiplayer game types.