- A new map editor which allows users to place and define caves and dungeons
- New legendary magical creatures (one per faith)
- Improved artificial intelligence
- Introduces 16 new wandering creatures
- Many new artifacts and spells
- New unique buildings for each of the eight faiths
- Multi-level caves and dungeons
- Guard towers that reveal large areas of the overland map
Set in a fantasy universe, you can choose to play the of one of eight groups that are at war with each other. The game is played from an isometric view. The gameplay consists of resource management, force development and combat with the aim of extending your domination of the land. Some eighty different units types are available. The game has a lot of depth and a tutorial is included to help you master the complex array of control options. The game combines turn-based and real-time actions. Battles are conducted in real-time, but you can pause during combat and issue commands, or you can have the computer work out the results. There is a multi-player mode for up to eight people over LAN, Net or modem/serial connection. A notable feature is the map editor.
Additional enhancements in the Special Edition include a new map editor, new legendary magical creatures, improved enemy AI, new gameplay areas, added artifacts and spells and much more!