- March into battle as a warrior of common ancestry and imperial bloodlines, and engage in the great battles of ancient China
- Discover new weapons and items, and unlock the 11th weapon level
- Live out the fabled exploits of the legendary Dynasty Warriors, in the new Legends Mode
- Engage in a series of endurance style one-on-one duels, in Arena Challenge
- Cross blades with the mightiest warriors in Xtreme Mode – a series of randomly generated, high-intensity skirmishes
Dynasty Warriors 4: Xtreme Legends continues KOEI’s sword-swinging series set in ancient China by offering new modes and features. Xtreme Legends is a standalone title that also serves as an add-on disc for 2002’s Dynasty Warriors 4. Players can import powered-up characters used in Xtreme Legends to Dynasty Warriors 4 as well as enhance the game with new items, an 11th weapon level, and an option to choose between beginner and expert difficulty settings. Taken on its own, Xtreme Legends includes all 42 characters from Dynasty Warriors 4, playable in three new modes: Xtreme, Legend, and Challenge.
Xtreme is a one-player mode that tests a character’s ability to survive as long as possible through randomly generated scenarios. There are no meat buns to replenish health during each mission, so players must survive until the level is complete. In between scenarios are shops where characters can purchase meat buns and items as well as forge alliances with other warriors to fight alongside them. Once an ally is defeated, however, he or she is gone for the remainder of play. Legend Mode features 42 levels built around each character in the game, with performance rankings awarded at the end of battle. The final mode, Challenge, offers a series of one-on-one duels held within special arenas.